Re: Re: Jingoism at its best

To: <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>, <owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Re: Jingoism at its best
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 09:50:44 -0000
On 18/2/98 12:46 am MGSMGBGT@aol.com said

>Almost as bad as a country where driving ones LBC in the left lane is the
>right side of the road.
>
>Sorry Philip, but it was just too good to let pass by.

I've always wondered about this. Legend has it that horsemen used to pass
to the left so that they could defend themselves with their swords in
their right hands. That's why the British (and a surprising proportion of
the rest of the world) drive on the left. Makes sense, eh?

The story goes that the French started the fashion of driving on the
right 'to be different from the British'. Seems a bit far-fetched, but
you never know with the French! (no offence to the Canadians :-)

Does anyone know the truth about driving on the right?

Cheers

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk