Re: I missed the end of this story

To: James E Kearman <mgb_73@juno.com>
Subject: Re: I missed the end of this story
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:03:05 -0500
James E Kearman wrote:

> Someone (Trevor) was posting almost daily about his attempts to start a
> B. Did you ever get it running?

  Not yet, sadly, but I am "working on it".

  My last update was that I had really low (50-60psi) compression in
all cylinders. When I put oil in the cylinders, not only would the
compression go up but the car would actually start for a few seconds.

  Talking to the local British guru, he said that it's possible the
rings
are stuck from all the sitting. As well, since the car had bad floats
and was FLOODING in gasoline, it might be full of varnish and fudge.
This
also seems to make sense because the #4 cylinder is the worst and #1 is
almost fine, which coincides with #4 being on the downhill side of the
intake manifold where the flooding is worse.

  So I've been soaking the bores in diesel fuel for a few weeks at
his recommendation. Apparently the diesel fuel has very strong
anti-gumming
agents for it's use, and it can dissolve residues and trash in the
rings.

  His next recommendation (which I think I will skip) was to start and
run the car on 24V. The 24V might cost me a set of points very quickly
but in his experience has been ok. It gives a VERY hot spark and also
spins the starter fast enough to make compression and run.

  If that works, he said let it run and about 2000-3000rpms for an hour,
then shut it down and inspect and decide if it's "junk" based on oil
pressure and smoke shows and if it restarts and so on.

  So basically I am about to try to start it "any day now", had a flu
or it would have been this past weekend. If that doesn't work, the local
shop has a gasket set with my name on it and I'm pulling the head to
see what's amiss.

  That's the current status.

--
Trevor Boicey