Re: one for the gurus/slightly long noggin scratcher

To: robert@woozy.com
Subject: Re: one for the gurus/slightly long noggin scratcher
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:00:48 EST
Robert,
  It sounds like worn valve guides, especially the intake, possibly
aggrevated by poor drainage from the rocker area.
 The oil is being drawn into the intake ports by the relatively high
vacuum during the long period of idleing. Some is getting into the
combustion chamber, but not enough to cause major smoking while idleing.
BUT when you open the throttle to drive off, the oil in the ports, etc is
drawn into the combustion chamber, and voila! you're now the local
mosquito fogger.
 The solution can be two fold.
 First, replace the valve stem seal on the intake valve guides (don't put
seal on the exhaust guides). This can be done without dismantling the
head. If the guides are not too bad this will probably solve the problem.
 Second, (and if the above fails), is to replace the guides. (involves
head removal, etc,etc). If you need to go this far, install the
"lead-free" guides (Ie. the ones being sold now for use with  no lead
head conversions.)

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:29:06 -0400 robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
writes:
>Hello listees,
>
>Well, I'm trying whether to rebuild my engine or buy a rebuilt
>or do something in between, like just put in new bearings.
>Several people on the list have been very helpful so far and I
>am certainly grateful for their help.
>
>The big question is whether the car burns oil or not, the answer
>is *sometimes*, which is odd. Like tonite; drive to the burrito joint
>with my girlfriend, she runs in, while I wait in the car, maybe
>five minutes tops. I leave the engine running, oil pressure is
>30 lbs/sqin idling, the engine is up to operating temp. As soon as
>we go to pull away the biggest cloud of smoke starts coming out
>of the tail pipe. I thought the car was on fire for a moment there
>was so much smoke. I drive one block like this, smoke pouring out
>the back of the car and then the smoke vanishes and we are back
>to normal colorless exhaust.
>
>The head on this car is a 4 month old VB rebuild. The engine has been
>detoxed, it's a 1275, has a weber and a lcb header (in case that is
>helpful).
>
>What is that smoke?? Has anyone experienced anything like this? If
>I were burning oil or there was water (steam) in the exhaust,
>shouldn't
>that be constant?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Robert Weeks
>Durham NC
>1969 Midget
>http://www.woozy.com/midget/

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]