MGA - wiring + ground fuel pump

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA - wiring + ground fuel pump
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:31:41 -0500
Got the gas tank in and a new SU fuel pump partially installed.  I am
about ready to wire up the fuel pump and would like to make sure I have
it straight.  There appear to be two connectors - one on the end of the
pump opposite (Connector A) and one on the side by the intake/outflow
pipes (Connector B - note: they are not labelled - these are my
designations).  My car has a positive ground.  I got a positive ground
pump (red band on the case).  I have been told that the lead from the
wiring harness (white wire) goes to Connector A while Connector B is
used for a ground wire (black) from the chassis.  I trust my source but
want to make sure I have it right.

Second question - I believe I have an aftermarket fuel line and am
considering getting a new one.  The old line is 8' 8" long, extends
rearward past the fuel pump and snakes back like a trombone slide.  The
situation is aggrevated further with the new pump and I am a bit
uncomfortable with a 10" loop of fuel line banging around back there
with all the suspension components.  I can rig a system of hangers to
provide some stability for the time being.  Is this the normal
configuration?

Third question - I have a leak where the the temperature sender unit
screws into the block. I've torqued it down as much as I dare/can but it
still leaks.  I can go to a longer wrench but am afraid of busting
something.  I was thinking about using some teflon tape - other
suggestions?

The weather in Dixie has varied from beautiful to rainy.  The day before
yesterday was gorgeous and I saw the 2nd MGA I've seen in the 6 years
I've been in Atlanta - it was a real inspiration.  All red & chrome -
the driver could've been nude & I wouldn't have noticed.  My goal is to
have mine done by the end of the March.  Looks very possible.  There
have been several folks on this list who have been very helpful.  Thanks
much.

-ralph cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov

'59 MGA