Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:42:20 EST
 It is reliably reported,by an un-named source than on Fri, 27 Feb 1998,
Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net> writes:
>OK, assume that either the 14" or 15" wheels will
>be of the same make/model (i.e. 72 spoke wires
>5.5" wide) and the tires will be the same
>make/model, (i.e. both 185/60 series).

>I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of turn
>in.  I think the smaller diameter wheel/tire combo
>will exhibit faster turn-in, though it might not
>have as much grip once the car starts turning.
>Please correct me if I'm wrong, I may have the
>incorrect assumption.

 Given the assumptions you made in the first paragraph, you're right.
There will be a difference in the turn in response. Primarily due to the
larger diameter tires.
 Now you have two tires with identical section height, (185mm X60= 111 mm
=4.37") but with different rim diameters. The 14" will have a diameter of
(4.37+ 4.37+14) 22.74 ". The 15" will be (4.37+4.37+15) 23.74" in dia. a
4% difference in diameter.
 And too, given that both wheels are 72 spoke, the 15" will exibit
greater flex under the same conditions, due to the longer "lever" effect.
  I'm know gonna start some flames (I got my Nomex undies on),but IMHO
for serious high performance driving, Wires aren't the way to go. Under
the best of conditions, the wires will exibit greater flex than even a
set of Rostyles. Wire wheels look aboslutely great on a LBC and they give
the car that special something. But for spirited driving, they leave
quite a bit to be desired.
 If money were no object (dont I wish!!!), the hot setup may be to
install a set of
185/60 x15 on 72 spoke wire wheels for use on the street and show
purposes, and purchase a set of 215/50x15 High performance tires and
mount them on 6" wide alloys with splined (knock-off) centers for those
times when you want to go "play".

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

>You did raise some good questions though, this is
>absolutely the kind of discussion I'm looking for.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]