SU carb adjustments and observations

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU carb adjustments and observations
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:16:41 -0500
Today, with the 65 degree Fahrenheit weather, I had the uncontrollable urge to
work on the MG.  I drove to the car wash(I'm not living at home now, so a car
wash will have to suffice).  After washing the car, I began to adjust the carbs
since they were adjusted for 20 degree weather.  I adjusted them in two flats
to lean out the mixture.  When I lifted the pins I found this was the correct
mixture, since the RPMs raised and then a few seconds later dropped.  I later,
however, found this setting created awful driving, with poor horsepower.  I
remember others on the list stating that these cars run lean at speed and now
my personal experience supports this.

So...

For those of you who have adjusted their carbs "by the book," you may want to
do some experimentation.  "By the book" my car was easily blown away by
minivans, but with my own tuning prowess:) I got my car to run much better.  I
estimate my car lost at least 10-15 horsepower simply because my engine was
running lean at speed, not to mention the fact my pistons were likely getting
hot.

Just some observations on this absolutely gorgeous day here in downtown, smoggy
Atlanta, GA.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.