RE: Weber Carbs

To: "'John Durant'" <jadurant@home.com>
Subject: RE: Weber Carbs
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 20:38:21 -0500
> John Durant [SMTP:jadurant@home.com] wrote:
>
> I am in the market for a 65-68 MGB.  Have the SOL
> checklist, production data, Moss catalogs, Spot Rot
> gauge etc.  Two of the "prospect" cars on my list
> have Weber carburetors.  Any thoughts on the
> advantages or disadvantages of Webers?

As others on the list have stated, the body is the most important single
consideration ... IOW, don't let the presence of a Weber deter you from
purchasing a 'B' that is sound and fairly priced.  While I'm not a fan
of
Webers there are several list members that are ... they can be difficult
to setup properly, but once setup they require less maintenance than
the SUs ... I won't start the 'religious war' by commenting on which
provides better performance ... ;^)

> Any manifold issues?

There are *several* different intake manifolds for the Weber carb(s) ...
each with its own benefits ... I will let someone with more Weber
experience
than I advise you on them and their proper installation.

For an interesting technical discussion on carbs take a look at ...
http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb19.htm ... on Doug Jackson's
excellent site http://ww.mgbmga.com.  Another interesting source is
Peter Burgess book 'How to Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines'.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkI