Re: Wire Woes

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Wire Woes
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:41:40 -0500
John Middlesworth wrote:

> I turn the
> headlamps on and the wires attached to the switch start warming up.  Hot
> wires are high-resistance wires, so I shut the lamps off before I see
> another meltdown.  Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Could halogen headlamps cause this overheating?

Yes

> 2. Could it be the result of DPO using the wrong gauge wire from the
> switch to the fusebox?

Maybe

> 3. Is there a fuse that would blow before wires start melting?

Surely you jest this is an MG

> 4. What could be the problem?

What I've done is fuse the wiring going to the headlamp switch (move the
supply circuit to one of the fused supplies).  Add two relays one for low beam
and one for high controlled by the old headlamp supply lines.  Power for the
headlamps (to the relays) can be wired with a 15 amp fused wire (10 ga or
larger) from the starter solenoid (for extra protection use a fusable link to
draw the power from the solenoid).  This way everything in the circuit is
fused and you have separate fuses for high and low beams incase of a short.