Re: Valve Clearances

To: AlexB72 <AlexB72@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Clearances
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:58:13 -0600
AlexB72 wrote:

> I find that after a few hours of continuous freeway driving in my 74 MGB (read
> 70-80mph) my valve clearances change to the point that some valves do not
> close and I lose compression (0 psi) on those cylinders.  Someone I spoke with
> said that the push rods may be expanding due to overheating, though the engine
> coolant temp stays normal.

Yeah that might be it. I heard of a fellow with a similar problem and he
couldn't
get it fixed until he removed the smog air pump. It seems all that injected air
was pushing the exhaust gases up against the stem of the valve causing it to
expand abnormally resulting in the same symptoms.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."