MGB Alternator conversion reverse engineering, and thermostat

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Alternator conversion reverse engineering, and thermostat
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 03:20:00 -0500
Well, I've been touring my parking garage in the MGB waiting
for the weather to improve. It's not licensed so this is about
as much driving as I'm likely to see for a while.

  Anyways, the car has a previous-previous-previous owner installed
American alternator conversion.

  The work seems acceptable, probably about as nice as I would do
it if I did it myself.

  However, the ignition light stays on unless the engine is
revving fairly high, over 2500rpm.

  Could this simply be a pulley size problem? The alternator seems
to have quite a few wires emerging from it and some are not
connected, so I am not quite sure. But it SEEMS to work as long
as the engine is "up there".

  Also, any tips for removing a thermostat cover? All the bolts
come off, one actually broke, but I can't budge it loose. I don't
want to be too hard on it in case I break it, is it iron or
soft metal?

  Thanks!

--
Trevor Boicey