[Fwd: Re: electronic ignition]

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: electronic ignition]
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:03:04 -0800

--------------13CC486A5DB2

All,

  I originally sent this privately.  Since then I've seen that others
have written somewhat critically about the Crane/Allison ignition unit
too.  So here it is, FWIW.
                                CR

  Charley Robinson
  `69 B

--------------13CC486A5DB2

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:15:48 -0800
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition

Hi Jeff,

  I'm writing privately so I won't ruffle any feathers.  I installed one
of the Allison (now Crane) ignitions in my `70 B a decade back.  I got
over 5 years of trouble-free service out of it.  It was on the car when
I sold it.

  I recently bought a `69 B and ordered a Crane ignition.  Victoria
Parts listed the Crane/Allison unit specifically for the B.  However,  I
received a different part # that was intended to fit many different
engines.  The kit contained several brackets for the trigger unit and
several shutters for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines.  The user must select
the hardware that works best in his distributor.  The instructions tell
the user to remove the riveted pivot post for the points in order to
make room for the trigger unit.  I elected not to do this because I
wanted to be able to re-install the points and condenser in case the
electronic ignition ever failed.  Because of this, I had trouble getting
the trigger unit to fit into the available space and had a problem with
it vibrating loose.  I spent a lot of time, removing and reinstalling
the distributor until I got it right.  It's working OK now but if I ever
find another breaker plate for my 25D distributor I'll change the
location of the pickup unit in the one on the engine and install the
points and condenser on the spare, carry it in my "survival kit."

  Another thing about the universal Crane kit is that there is no way to
provided to seal the opening in the side of the distributor after the
existing innards are removed.  They suggest sealing it with a gob of
silicone sealer.  I drilled out the terminal/lead fitting,  ran the
Crane wiring thru the hole and installed it in its hole on the
distributor. Of course I had to buy a new one for my survival kit.

  If I had it to do over again, I'd return the Crane unit and buy the
one that goes into the distributor with no permanent mods.  I'd also buy
the Lucas Sport Coil, instead of the Crane Street Coil.  The reason is
that the Crane coil uses an external ballast resistor whereas the Lucas
has one in it.  I worry that one day water will splash onto the ballast
resistor and short/ground it out.
                                FWIW,
                                        CR

--------------13CC486A5DB2--