Re: Goliath

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Goliath
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:58:46 -0500
I seem to have lost the e-mail from whoever was asking about these cars.
I'll answer briefly to the list, and if whoever it was wants more
information, you can e-mail me privately and I'll give you what I have.

Goliath was a German company, an offshoot  of Borgward/Hansa.
Production began in 1928 and resumed in 1948 for building 3-wheeled
commercial vehicles.  By 1950, they had 4-wheel passenger vehicles.  The
Sport Coupe of 1951-52 was one of the first cars to use fuel injection.
They were kind of nice looking (in an "ordinary" sort of way).
Production continued until 1961, and a few remaining vehicles were sold
as late as 1963.  Two cylinder Goliaths started slipping into the US in
the mid-50's.  Motor Trend, in Jan. '56 reported that it "packs a mighty
wallop", but did not care for the placement of the gas tank above the
engine (!!!).  There were almost 40,000 Goliaths sold in the US market
(12,870 in 1957 alone) from 1953 to 1961 when the name was changed to
Hansa.  I have no figures on '61 production, but that was essentially
the last year they were made.  The few later ones were put together from
leftover parts.

-NORY

Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort