The IOOOF and The Royal Curmudgeon Order

To: "Carl Franklin" <carlf@dustdevil.com>
Subject: The IOOOF and The Royal Curmudgeon Order
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:42:45 -0700
The Royal Curmudgeon Order is available to those who insist on doing every
piece of a restoration themselves.  They are usually found wandering
vaguely at the sides of the field at every British Meet due to their
insistence on spraying their own paint, in their own garages, without
benefit of mask or ventilation.  This group would be considered eligible
for Knight status.

The Commander would demonstrate the memory loss and vapid expression of the
Knight but would be found in his garage attempting to polish the aluminum
castings on his SU carbs with an old rag and a tube of something.  When not
doing this he may be found carefully draining old oil filters in order to
re-fill the dashpots on those same SUs.

The Knight Commander would, in addition to the above, be found carefully
cleaning, re-threading and wire-brushing all of the used fasteners from his
1947 Mowog Special while forcing his children to clean and re-sew the
original carpets.  His wife would at the same time be found trying to clean
and re-sew the original top after having dyed it in a vat of melted shoe
polish.

The mind boggles at the degree of penury required to achieve more elevated rank.

Note that all of these folks spend all of their time at Field Meets
bragging about the massive amounts of money saved by "doing it right".  In
addition they are quick to point out the lack of originality found in every
other pristine restoration because it "is no longer original like my car".
Following the put-downs they clatter off in the rusted remnants of their
"well-cared-for" "factory original" with the resewn top, opaque windows and
tattered sidecurtains - confident that there'll always be an England.

John