Re: Stud Extractor

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Subject: Re: Stud Extractor
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 22:16:37 -0500
Larry Dickstein wrote:
> >   Are those stud extractors that go on the sockets worth
> > their price? I guess if I am going to buy one I should do it
> > before I screw it up with mole grips.
>
> You might try milling the sides of the stud flat for a better grip.  If
> that doesn't work, then I think you faced w/ buying the right tool.  I
> try not to do that either, but sometimes you have to.

  Actually, I got very lucky today. I gave it a few shots of
liquid wrench and a lot of tapping, and it came out quite easily
with (gasp) vice grips.

  One good thing about studs is that they are usually rusted in
the PULLED UP position because that is how they are installed. So
the top part of the stud threads are rusted to the bottom
part of the block threads.

  Tapping straight down while applying penetrating oil will
work directly on the rust, and is probably why I had success.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada