Re: Oil cooler

To: patrick.elliott@attws.com
Subject: Re: Oil cooler
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:36:42 EST
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:51:09 -0800 "Elliott, Patrick"
<patrick.elliott@attws.com> writes:
>Question for the Experts.
>
> Have a 1275.
> Have an Oil Cooler from a Cessna. ( About 1 & 1/2 quarts)
> Have a source of hoses with AN fittings.

> Need to adapt Block and Oil filter openings to AN type fittings. I
>noticed that Victoria British Sells Adapters but doesn't say what they
>adapt to. Does anyone know if these are AN type        ?

The engine fittings are BSP (British Standard Pipe). Adapters are
availible from some of the race supply houses, or as you're in CA, try
Earl's Supply House (sorry,don't have the number,but I think he is in the
LA area)

>Is there such a thing as to much oil Cooler.? ( I'm not in Alaska or
>Maine, I live in the mountains of northern California. )

Yes, optimely, engine oil needs to be between 225 and 275 degrees.  Below
that and its "flow-ablility"is hampered; too high and the oil begins to
break down.
 You probably will want to fit a shutter or blind to block off airflow to
the oil cooler in cooler weather. A thermostat, which fits in the oil
lines to the cooler is also a good idea.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget