need advice on 1600 rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: need advice on 1600 rebuild
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:24:37 -0500
Hello--
I just took my 1600 engine parts to a machine shop today. I could use
some advice on ways to improve performance.
I want to increase the power but don't know which are the most
cost-effective ways to do it.  One mechanic I talked to (Kim
Graff--Amsterdam NY) advised an aluminum flywheel, a "mild"cam and
stainless steel valves with 'flowed' stems.
I've read about porting, increasing the compression ratio with flat
pistons, etc.
Will boring it out make a difference, or will I also need a new head?
I don't want a race engine, but would like to get the most performance
for the money I put into customizing it.
I'd appreciate any tips from the group.