Re: O/D Rear Seal

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: O/D Rear Seal
From: Eric Zambori <eaz@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:22:59 -0800
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Anybody got any wisdom on replacing the rear (i.e. prop-shaft end) oil
> seal on a 73 with O/D? Like getting the flange off?  Removing the old
> seal?  Replacing both?
>
> Thanks,
> PaulH.

I replaced my rear seal when the tranny was out, but as I recall the
flange came off quite easily with a gear puller and the seal can then be
pried out and replaced once the flange is removed.  I think the nut that
holds the flange to the tail shaft has a flat area on it that gets bent
or peened over once it is tight.  You can usually bend the falt area
back to get it off and reuse the nut, or order a replacement ahead of
time to be prepared.

Eric Zambori
72 MGB