Re: starting newsgroup/now heel-toe

To: bmc@aa.net
Subject: Re: starting newsgroup/now heel-toe
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:00:00 -0600
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:20:50 -0800 "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net> writes:

>It seems everyone out there knows how to heel/toe (and what it is,
>exactly), except me.  Since we're wasting bandwidth anyway, does
>anyone care to explain it to me?

Ahem.

As a recent graduate of the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance
Driving, I believe that I am more than qualified to answer this young
man's question.

The following is from Bondurant's "High Performance Driving Training
Manual," page 5:

Begin quote:

Heel and Toe Downshifting:
This is the technique of operating the brake and gas pedal simultaneously
with the right foot while clutching with the left foot.  If your car has
an automatic transmission, this does not apply to your kind of driving
[note: interesting they thought they needed to explain this :-)].

Heel and toe downshifting allows you to brake and match the engine rpms
with rear wheel rpms which allows for smooth downshifting.

Here is how it is done!

First you start to squeeze on the brake pressure to slow down the car.
Then pivot the heel or side of your right foot onto the throttle,
maintaining even brake pressure.  Depress the clutch with your left foot,
moving the shift lever quickly into the next lower gear.  Release the
clutch smoothly, then pivot your right heel off the throttle back to
below brake pedal and continue trailing brake [note: "trailing" the brake
is subject of another lesson].  This technique is called heel and toe
downshifting."

End quote.

Any questions?

David Littlefield