Re: Sunbeam Alpine

To: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Alpine
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:26:01 -0800
Edwin,

I had a '66 Alpine about twenty years ago.  My memory has been slightly
ravaged by time, but I remember the Alpine to be very similar to an MGB in
most respects.  Sizewise, the Alpine was a little bigger, with a more
generous area behind the seats (the convertible top/hood had its own
stowage area behind the passenger compartment) and in the trunk/boot.
Performance of the 1725cc engine seemed to be a bit less than a B
(although, as a hormone-driven teenager, I may have had higher expectations
at the time), but the engine was similar to work on.  Mine had dual
Stromberg carbs--I'm not sure if they were original equipment.  I didn't
know a thing about LBC's, or most cars, when I bought it, yet still managed
to do a decent restoration with a minimum of expense.

Since it was 1976, parts were probably a bit easier to find at the time
than they would be now.  In discussing this very topic with the owner of
our local British parts store, he mentioned the difficulty he had in coming
up with parts for Sunbeams.  Pat of the reason for the shortage is there
weren't nearly as many of them built as
the MGB, and many were converted to Tiger look-alikes over the
years (the Tiger was the very popular Ford V-8 version of the Alpine built
by Sunbeam).

I did notice that one of the major catalogs (Moss or Vicky-Brit) does have
a Sunbeam catalog, too.

I do see them around town every now and again--always in immaculate
condition.  All in all, a very fun car.

Good luck!

Scott McKorkle
Issaquah, WA