engine rebuild questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: engine rebuild questions
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:01:35 -0400
Hi Listees,

I've decided to rebuild my 1275 instead of buying a already rebuilt unit,
(Thanks Skip and everyone else who helped me with that decision) So now
I'm wondering about a few different add-on/mods and their relative value.

The first is the engine rear seal from MinaMania, has anyone tried this
and is it worth the $200? I heard it doesn't work with the 5 speed datsun
tranny, which is fine with me as I'm rather fond of my stock tranny.

The second would be a high lift rocker setup, not the roller bearing type,
but the cast MiniSpares version. Vizard gets all gushy over these in his
book, are they worth the extra expense? I'll be putting in a slightly hot
cam (from Northwest Imports), the head is pretty stock, the carb is a
Weber DGV, and the exhaust mainfold is a LCB header.

My main question about the rockers and cam is are they worth it? I don't
have a lot of extra cash to throw around. Should I just stick with the stock
cam and rockers? I reread the Vizard chapters last night concerning cams
and lifters, and he claims the high lift rockers *always* give improved
performance except in the cases where they don't. (bloody lot of good that
does me!)

I plan on all new pistons, tappets, pushrods, reground and balanced crank,
new radiator, oil pump, water pump, bearings, thrust washers, distributor,
freeze plugs, oil galley plugs and high grade bolts throughout.

Is there anything I'm missing? (the clutch is 6 months old, so I'm leaving
it be)

TIA,

Robert Weeks
Durham NC