Memory Lane

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Memory Lane
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@kalama.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:53:06 -0800
A Trip Down Memory Lane

For Christmas my wife bought a tonneau cover for my 1979 MGB. She ordered it
from Moss and it really is a fine gift. I installed it in about  one and a
half hours and have been waiting for a nice day  so that I could drive
around town and show it off to my friends. The sun does not show itself very
often this time of the year in the State of Washington, but yesterday, for
about three hours, it was nice enough to give it a go. With my winter coat
wrapped around me and my woolen gloves and cap I ventured out in my LBC with
the top down, and had the time of my life. (All of 67 years I might add)=20

When I was 21 I thought nothing of driving my (then) 1939 MGTB in all kinds
of weather. I then lived in Wales and believe me, the winters could be
horrible compared
with what I've experienced since moving to Washington State 41 years ago.
Driving around town yesterday in my "B" brought back fond memories of those
wonderful days after W.W.II when my new bride and I drove our MGTB to the=20
South of England on our honeymoon.

We spent the first night in Southampton, where we took a boat ride around
the huge
liner "Queen Elizabeth", not realizing at the time that we would be sailing
across the Atlantic on that ship four years later.  On leaving Southampton
the following day we drove through the New Forest, where we came upon
Beaulieu Castle. It was open to
the public so we went in and had afternoon tea and noticed that there were a
few "old" cars on display. Remember, this was in 1953. This "old" display
has now blossomed into the home of the National Motor Museum, having over
250 cars displayed. It is situated
between Southampton and Bournemouth in the South of England, and to reach it
by road
makes a beautiful drive through the New Forest. =20
We had but seven days for our honeymoon as I was on leave from the British
Army (Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers) in which I served two
(compulsory) years. So we made our way back to our home town in South Wales
in the MGTB. That LBC performed  beautifully on the trip but as we entered
our birthplace the voltage regulator stuck (love that Lucas fellow) and I
hastily had to pry the points apart before we had a serious fire.
Oh, the joys of motoring !!

All this was going through my mind as I drove my MGB yesterday morning, and
before
I new it I had covered 50 miles and was ready to return home for a hot cup
of coffee.
Thanks to the Christmas present from my bride of almost 45 years I had a
great morning's drive and am eagerly anticipating many more in the future.
=20
  Stuart ....1979 MGB=85..(with the top down)
Stuart Farmer=20
2724 Florida St.
Longview,WA 98632         k7wf@kalama.com
Tel: 360-423-1769         =20