1975 MG Midget, racing radios, heel & toe/how many revs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1975 MG Midget, racing radios, heel & toe/how many revs
From: HORNERLJH <HORNERLJH@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:24:35 EST
1.  What happened to that 1975 MG Midget that was for sale for $800?  Did the
lister check it out?
2.  Racers:  I need help finding 2-way radios (4), headsets (2), etc., for our
2 cars & pit crew.  Anyone know where to go other than Pegasus, Motorola,
Radio Shack?  We would even consider previously owned equipment.  We have a
budget needless to say.
3.  My >2 cents on heel & toe:  learn to do it.  WHY = With less wear & tear
the drive train in your LBC will love you for it and reward you w/ many extra
miles of fun.  Using that procedure I have been blessed w/ 62k road miles on
the original clutch.  WHEN = In addition to braking for curves it works great
when downshifting to pass; just skip the braking part, i.e., "blip" the
throttle as you are going through the downshifting process.  HOW MANY REVS =
If you want to know how many revs to "blip" the accelerator to match revs you
can have one of the intelligent listers help you calculate it from gear ratio
differences.  Or,  watch your rev counter when you upshift.  Look at how many
revs you lose going up in each gear.  If a 3->4 upshift at 3000 RPM leaves you
at 2200 RPM in 4th, then a 4->3 downshift at 2200 RPM would imply "blipping"
the throttle to 3000 RPM to smooth things out.  Now before you technically
astute members find too much fault with this process I acknowledge that this
may be inexact, but it works pretty well for me and nowadays it gets done
pretty much by ear, touch, and feel.  As you get the feel of this you'll also
get a better understanding of the torque band of you vehicle.  Any listers
have any helpful corrections or additions to this?

Jack Horner
1975 MG Midget