Re: 75w140 Durablend in tranny

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: 75w140 Durablend in tranny
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 02:58:24 -0500
Dan Ray wrote:
> FWIW My tranny oil looked almost new when I drained it and who knows how
> long it's been in there. The car sat for 12 years!

  Unfortunately, looking isn't a good test for gear oil. Frankly
I don't know what is.

  The problem is that we are used to oil getting blacker and less
transparent as it gets old, but the blackness is actually
combustion products that the oil detergent is holding in
suspension.

  Since nothing is burning in a transmission, it'll never go
black, ever, no matter how old it gets. Oh well.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/