Re: Thermostat

To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Subject: Re: Thermostat
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:54:38 -0800
Gary Davis wrote:
>   I am considering changing my thermostat to a 190 or 195 to enable to
> engine to warm faster (I live in Montana).  I don't know what's in there
> now.  Assuming there's a 160 in there now (the car is from Arizona), will
> I notice any difference in the temperature gauge readings?  Will the
> engine run hotter and contribute more radiant heat to the interior?

        Theoretically, the gauge ought to indicate whatever the thermostat is
rated for.  In other words, if you have a 195 in there, the gauge ought
to read that.  In the real world, it will be off some and most of the
error will be in the gauge, especially if it says "C  N  H".
A 195 thermostat will likely allow the car to run hotter than the 160,
or whatever is in there now.  So, that being the case, the heater should
put out a little more.  Most are darn poor at best.
        Keep in mind that higher altitudes do odd things to temperatures and
radiators.

Larry Dickstein     Kansas City, MO

O.F. #2 by Executive Decree