MGA Extinguisher & Battery Cut Off Switch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Extinguisher & Battery Cut Off Switch
From: HORNERLJH <HORNERLJH@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:45:23 EST
Kevin Sullivan asked about location of a battery cut off switch & a fire
extinguisher in his MGA:
1.  For racing, consult the rules of your racing organization, i.e., SCCA,
etc.
2.  For street applications:
        a.  A battery cut off switch can be purchased at any auto parts store or
catalog.  Cost should be between $9->$15.  Location is usually at the battery
terminal.  Make sure you measure your applicable battery area first and note
whether the cut off switch will face the top or the side before purchase. Also
note which polarity to which it should be attached.  There are types to fit
most applications.  Usually used for antitheft & battery saving purposes.
        b.  For fire extinguishers I use the "ABC" type to cover as many
circumstances as possible.  I use the type w/ a gauge so that I can remain
reasonably certain of its readiness.  Most come w/ a bracket for attachment to
a wall, etc.  If you don't mind the holes, they can usually be attached to the
front of the passenger seat bottom.  There they are out of the way, wont be
kicked as easily, and w/in easy reach of both driver & passenger.  Also, no
holes in floorboard or tranny tunnel.  I do not like the idea of the heavy
bottle behind me in the event of a crash, nor having to fumble behind me to
reach it if it hasn't already flown forward & knocked me out.

Anyone else have ideas to help Kevin?  Remember, it is "Safety Fast".

Regards,
Jack Horner