Re: TD Clutch Linkage

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Linkage
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:10:19 EST
Hi Bob,
  My thought is that the holes wore oblong _because_ of the lubrication,
not for lack of it. The primary lubrication seems to be engine oil drip
and crankcase blow-by.  When I took them apart, all the joints were
plenty wet with oil. Unfortunately, and what I think is the problem, is
that the oil attracts and holds all the abrasives that are kicked up by
the front wheels.  What I am doing now is to give them an occasional
blast with a silicone spray, hoping to avoid the stickiness of oil.
   I found that the rubber front cup on the master cylinder will fit into
the hole at the front of the pedal box, and act as something of a dirt
excluder. I drilled the plastic cap of a 35mm film container and slid it
onto the rod also, as a baffle against the dirt. Additionally, the bottom
hole in the pedal box will accept the rubber plug that is in the floor
pan on the driver's side.   The reason for all this effort was my
observation that the wear of the fittings inside the "protected" box was
worse than that of the exposed fittings. These were all loaded with
accumulated grease and oil, and sand, and dirt, and a couple of small
rocks plus a number of unidentifiable objects.
  Now that you have asked, though, I think I will go to a motorcycle shop
and see what it is that the cyclists use on their chains. Seems to me
that the chains operate in a similar environment.