RE: Radio Aerial

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Radio Aerial
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:38:49 -0800
When I had my old 1967 MGB-GT, I didn't want the antenna on the front
fender (wing) - I didn't like having to look at it when I drove.  I went
to the wrecking yard and found a late 1970s Datsun B-210 with the
antenna on the A-pillar .  I removed the black trim piece on the inside
of the GTs A-pillar and poked around beneath it with a piece of coax
cable - I determined there was enough room to route the antenna lead
inside the A-pillar and down behind the dash.  I drilled appropriate
holes in the outside of the A-pillar to mount the antenna and to accept
the lead-in cable.

I ended up with a very rakish looking antenna that is invisible from
inside the car.  Topping it with a Union 76 orange styrofoam antenna
ball completed the effect.

On my V-8, I have decided not to install any outside antennas.  I am
using a powered internal antenna module called an Untenna - available
from Dakota Digital in Minnesota.  They specialize in digital gauges for
hotrods.  The Untenna is a small (1/2x1/2x3") capsule on the end of an
antenna lead.  It is designed to stick to the inside of the windscreen
up behind the rearview mirror. you can hide the lead under the cant rail
above the windscreen, and down the A-pillar.  It runs about 75 bucks.

Cheers, PK