Re: MGA Project Update - latch tapping plate/tail light wiring

To: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Subject: Re: MGA Project Update - latch tapping plate/tail light wiring
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 13:44:03
At 10:00 AM 4/1/98 -0500, Cordell, Ralph PhD wrote:
>Question - My turn signal indicators don't work.  I am not sure I hooked
up the tail lights properly and may have switched wires (red vs white/red &
red vs white/purple I believe).  Does this make any difference?

Yes.  The T/S interrupter is load sensitive, so if one bulb is burnt out it
won't blink.  If you wire in a tail light bulb (6 watts) instead of the
turn signal fillament (21 watts) it will probably also not blink.

>..... latch tapping plate that fell inside the post .....  I'd thought
about drilling and tapping a piece of scrap steel rather than pay $14 to
Moss.  How do you hold it in place when the latch is not bolted on?

It has been nearly 12 years since I replaced that part, but I thought the
pocket had a backstop so the plate shouldn't go all the way through.  Mine
is apart this week for a repaint, so I'll make a call tonight and check for
sure.  I wouldn't want the shop lose my plates in there either (just in
case).  Easy enough part to make, rectangle with two tapped holes.
Meanwhile, it sounds like your car may have another cute character rattle
for years to come.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude