FW: Re: Question about Vacuum Advance

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Question about Vacuum Advance
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:33:50 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [jello@ida.net (Phil
Bates)]]

     Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:41:59 -0700 (MST)
     From: jello@ida.net (Phil Bates)
     Subject: Re: Question about Vacuum Advance

Oddly enough, I have a vacuum gauge installed on my car.  As far as the
manifold vacuum is concerned, when you put the pedal to the metal you get
virtually no manifold vacuum.  What the distributor runs off of, however, is
port side vacuum, and is on the other side of the throttle plate.  This is a
little more complex, and depends on engine speed and throttle opening.  I
used to have the gauge hooked up to port side vacuum, and as I remember it
if the throttle plate is closed, the vacuum is very low (this happens at
idle, or when coasting down from speed), when accelerating hard, the vacuum
is low.  Somewhere between cruising and decelerating the vacuum is the highest.