Re: mgb misfire

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "ROBRTM3" <ROBRTM3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: mgb misfire
From: "Andrew Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 98 07:50:20
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:08:47 EST, ROBRTM3 wrote:

>Dear List,
>
>Have developed a problem.  Recently my 77 mgb has started to misfire or
>"cough" at acceleration above 2500-3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear;  performance
>improves  when backing off,  runs smooth at lower rpm and of course lower mph.
>I am somewhat a novice and learning, but I have checked the plugs and they
>seemed dirty with black dry soot deposits, cleaned them up a bit, but did not
>have a real improvement.

I had a similar problem.  My car would start missing around 3000 rpm, and not
be able to
climb past that point.  It was also making a "bad" noise.  Turn out that my cam
shaft's woodruff
key slot was broken, allowing the cam shaft sproket to slop back and forth,
(ruining it) making the
engine be mistimed.

If it seems reasonable, and you have checked everything else, the timing chain
might be streached out.
(From what I understand you have the single chain in that engine, not the
double.)

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.maindrag.com/~lundgren