Re: Help! Car won't start

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Help! Car won't start
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:32:39 EST
Adrian,
  Have you wiped a piece of paper between the points on the fuel pump?  I
keep a sliver of 320 wet&dry sandpaper in my glovebox. It's just the
ticket for these sticky points or slightly burned ignition points, just
fold it double so there is abrasive on both sides, put it between the
points, press them together and pull out the wet&dry.
  Today the engine in the TD comes out, I hope. Bearings--just corroded
away, not worn out at all.  My father stored the car for about 10 years,
and we're assuming that he did not put in fresh oil before he put it
away.  No way to tell exactly, but the bigends and the mains are just
like Swiss cheeze or terminal teenage acne. Pieces will flake off with
fingernail pressure.  I owe a big one to Skip Kelsey who, in our oil
pressure correspondence, kept on me to look at the bearings, even though
I "knew" that the mileage on them was not great enough to cause them to
be worn out.
BOb