Oil and Dog Food, Emotional Marketing.

To: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: Oil and Dog Food, Emotional Marketing.
From: Bert Palte <palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 98 10:57:38 +0200
Bill commented, on the subject of "Special Dashpot Oil":

>Every time I see the ad ... for the special "damper oil", my eyes get misty
in admiration for  the marketing folks who thought that one up.  I mean, it
really appeals
>to you, doesn't it - use the "correct" stuff in those incredibly complex
>and demanding SU carbs.....beautiful.

I suggest we should introduce a new word here: "Emotional Marketing".
This kind of selling has nothing to do any more with technical properties or
price or whatever other well-known marketing instruments according to Kotler.

Here in Holland, in the classic car scene, since a few years, an
Australian(!) oil company, Penrite, is selling  'special' motor oils for
classsic cars etc.
Imagine that, would a 'special' 20W50 be more suitable for my MGB than
standard 20W50?
I don't really think so.
They put expensive ads in classic car magazines, but they fail to include
technical specs other than "API SE/CC, 20W50" etc. I rather prefer oil with
comments like
"to VW standard # ... to Ford standard # ..." on the container, even when I
have to admit I don't really know what that means...

Nevertheless: I think this Australian company would sell considerably more
if they would package their 'special' oils in old-fashioned tin cans instead
of the same polyethene 5-litre cans that everyone else in the business uses!

Emotional Marketing, yeah!
We've seen a similar thing recently with pet food.
Expensive, beautifully-made TV commercials for an expensive new brand of
dog/cat food that comes in special packages (unlike the standard tins, more
like TV dinners), however, neither the ad nor the package says anything that
suggests that the contents are different from other brands... (Ask Pluto..)

Bert
70 MGB
currently no pets