Re: Midget Progress

To: transerv@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: Midget Progress
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 01:40:24 EDT
On Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:33:10 -0700 (PDT) transerv@sprynet.com writes:

>Well, I finally got around to having time to put all the list advice
>to work.  I
>now own a timing light!  Could they have put the timing marks in a
>more
>inaccessable place?
Try this for future ease of timing.
 With the engine off, turn the engine by rolling the car in 4th gear
until the timing marks (on the underside) line up where they are correct
for dynamic (running) time, per the manual.
 DONT TURN THE ENGINE!
 On the right side of the car, reach in and with a fine brush, draw a
line straight across the damper using white paint (model paint works
fine).
 Directly opposite this line, mark another on the timing gear cover.
 Next time you check the timing, you can use these as a timing mark to
set the time. While possibly not as accurate as the factory marks (and
this is open to debate!!) it can save you a lot of time, skint elbows and
frustration.
 For the more esotericly inclined, the mark on the timing cover can be
replaced a metalic pointer

>Anyway, I was working on the timing, crawling under the front bumper
>to shine
>the timing light at the marks, and sittin back up next to the fender
>and
>reaching in to turn the distributor...not an easy task for a 48 year
>OF in pudgy
>condition, when I managed to pull the distributor out instead of
>turning it.
>
>Ol' 1275 don't run good with dizzy in dumb present owners hand!
>
>Well, I got out my new Haynes manual and learned how to static time
>too..good
>experience, yes?  I also took the opportunity to take the dist. into
>my shop and
> clean it up a bit.  Someone had painted it black at some time, not it
>shines a
>bit.
>
>Anyway..I got everything back the right way and it actually fired up!
>I then
>proceeded to "tune" the carbs.  Still don't think I got them right,
>but I took
>it on a test drive and she ran great for about six blocks.....
>
>Can you say "out of *%$#%%@@! gas?  Short walk home, borrow 4 ft. of
>garden hose
>of the one in the front yard, and head back with the pick up.  Use of
>the OK
>credit card had Katy running well again in about 10 minutes.  Then I
>drove her
>home and presueded my lovely wife to drive me back to the pick up.
>
>I think I'll invest in a color tune or a flow meter...any suggestions
>on which?
Two tools for two different functions;
 The color tune is for setting the running mixture
 Flow meters (Uni-syn, etc) are for balanceing the two carbs with each
other.

> Also, turning the adjustment nut on the bottom of the SU uo towards
>the bottom
>of the carb, thats leaning it right?
Correct

>Another thing, my intake manifold has two nipples (no jokes) with the
>vacum tube
>running to the dist. on one, and nothing on the other.  If I put my
>finger on
>the other, the engine begins to stumble and almost die.  What does
>this tell
>me???
You have a vacuum leak!. (obligitory smart a** answer)
 Plug the second nipple with a vacuum plug (local parts house has them),
or with a short piece of hose with the open end plugged.
 Then Re adjust the  mixture and idle.

>Also, my tach doesn't work, and there is a green wire loose behind it.
> When I
>plug this onto the spade on the back of the tach, it swings over to
>7000 and
>pegs out.  I left it disconnected.  Is this a sign of a short in the
>wonderfus
>Lucas wiring harness?
At the least.
>Finally, my odometer turned over 90,000 on the way to work last week.
>I was
>overjoyed, but at 90,006 the speedo and odo stopped working
>altogether.  Sound
>like a cable gave up?
Yep.

>Thanks in advance for any advice you may give, and thanks to all for
the advice
>on the timing light and the carb tuning, even if I didn't do
>everything right.

>Robert Houston
>74'Midget, Katy

No sweat, Us Midget owners gotta stick together, especially the 74's
(last of the Good MG engines )( now that should get the flames going!)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget