Re: Champion Vs. NGK

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Champion Vs. NGK
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:13:31 -0700
As I have stated many times, a multimeter can give misleading impressions
when used to measure resistance of HT circuits.

You have about 40Kv in the HT side of the coil. THis is enough to easily
cause a spark across the plug under pressure. But it is also enough to
cause a spark across a break in the HT winding of the coil, a break in
resistive plug wires, and most importantly, between the rotor arm and the
electrodes in the cap.

So, you can measure infinite resistance with a multimeter in the HT side,
yet it will still work.

When I worked at Lucas (late '70s), the specification for coil winding
allowed up to 3 breaks in the HT winding. The ends would be twisted
together, with the insulation still on, knowing that it only takes 100
volts or so to break down this insulation -- so a new coil could measure
infinite resistance in the HT side.

Simon
---
Simon Matthews      Avant! Corporation