Re: FW: Learn Something New

To: "Nunez, Eduardo" <Eduardo.Nunez@eng.ped.gmeds.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Learn Something New
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
The Romans did not use "War Chariots". Those were obsolete by the time
the Legions marched on British soil.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Nunez, Eduardo
wrote:

=%OThis needs no further explaining...
=%O
=%O>      Subject: Year 2000 analogy?
=%O>      Article written by a professor Tom O'Hare of the University of
=%O> Texas a
=%O>      while ago:
=%O>
=%O>      Why are railroad tracks 4 feet 8 1/2 inches apart?
=%O>
=%O>      The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails is 4
=%O> feet,
=%O>      8.5 inches, That's an exceedingly odd number.
=%O>
=%O>      Why did the English build them like that?
=%O>      Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who
=%O> built
=%O>      the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.
=%O>
=%O>      Why did 'they' use that gauge?
=%O>      Because the people who built the tramways used that same jigs and
=%O>
=%O>      tools that they used for building wagons, which use that wheel
=%O>      spacing.
=%O>
=%O>      Okay! Why did the wagons use that odd wheel spacing?
=%O>      Well, if they tried to use any other spacing the wagons would
=%O> break on
=%O>      some of the old, long distance roads, because that's the spacing
=%O> of
=%O>      the old wheel ruts.
=%O>
=%O>      Who built these old rutted roads?
=%O>      The first long distance road in Europe were built by Imperial
=%O> Rome for
=%O>      the benefit of their legions.
=%O>
=%O>      The roads have been used ever since, and the ruts?
=%O>      The initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of
=%O>      destroying their wagons, were first made by Roman war chariots,
=%O> since
=%O>      the chariots were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.
=%O>
=%O>      Thus, we have the answer to the original questions. The United
=%O> States
=%O>      standard railroad gauge of 4 feet 8.5 inches derives for the
=%O> original
=%O>      specification for an Imperial Rome army war chariot.  Military
=%O> specs
=%O>      and bureaucracies live forever.
=%O>
=%O>      So, the next time you are handed a specification and wonder what
=%O>      horse's ass came up with it, you may be exactly right.  Because
=%O> the
=%O>      Imperial Rome chariots were made to be just wide enough to
=%O> accommodate
=%O>      the back ends of two war horses.
=%O>
=%O>      We need only look a few hundred years down the road to see
=%O> legions of
=%O>      programmers asking each other why in the world does this date
=%O> have two
=%O>      digit year?
=%O>
=%OAnd for the LBC content:  My '75B does not have a Y2K problem, but the
=%Ocomputer that I sometimes use at home to access the LBC websites does!
=%O
=%OEd Nunez
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II