Re: 77B oil pan

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 77B oil pan
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 98 08:08:29
On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 06:59:49 -0700, Kevin Richards wrote:

>The manual (haynes) does not tell you whether or not you can replace the
>oil pan gasket without taking the engine out.
>Can you?
>is there enough clearance to clear the sump?
>has anyone done this before? can you advise??

Mine is off right now.  (waiting for a new camshaft.)  You can get it off
without pulling the
engine, but you do have to raise the engine to get to the bolts in the front.
You will have to
take loose the motor mounts.

>also, tappet cover-gasket is leaking also. can you use the permatex in
>addition to the gasket: is it advisable?

I don't know about that, but the originals were either cork or rubber.  They
are pretty cheap, if you are
going to be taking it that far apart, might as well put new ones on.

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.maindrag.com/~lundgren