Re: Oxygen Burning??

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygen Burning??
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:43:38 -0700 (PDT)
Technically, Oxygen itself is not "flammable" if by flammable one means
can catch fire by combining with oxygen. However, in the prescence of
oxygen, almost anything organic (containing carbon) will burn. In high
oxygen atmospheres, the combustion can be so rapid as to resemble an
explosion. For example, charcoal briquets soaked in liquid oxygen ARE
explosive in the prescence of a flame. The energy is released as oxygen
in the atmosphere combines with the carbon and hydrogen etc. present in
fuels.

On Sat, 11