Re: Distributor woes

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor woes
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:12:05 -0500
At 07:47 PM 4/12/98 -0400, RAY WYGONIK wrote:
>My problem is the mark on the crank pulley is 180 degress opposite the timing
>scale teeth.(why are the timing teeth at the bottom? With this set up
wouldn't
>you need two people to use a timing light?)
>Shouldn't the timing mark line up with the timing teeth in this
>psoition?  Does it matter? When I rotate the crank to get the pulley timing
>mark lined up with the timing teeth, then cylinders 2 and 3 are top dead
center.

>Do I have a problem? If so, help

Wow!  This is the exact same problem I have been having.  Today I had to
troubleshoot my B having poor performance at high RPMs.  AFter I
accelerated past 3000 RPM, the car would cough.  I checked points(new),
condenser(new), coil, spark plug wires, plugs, and carburetor.  When I
checked the timing, I was again at the crossroads where TDC on my
crankshaft pulley is 180 degrees off.  This was the same before the rebuild
and after I rebuilt the engine and I guarantee I got it together right.

Anyway, to get rid of the sputtering, I had to advance the timing to around
40 degrees BTDC and now it will hit 5500 rpm regularly as well as have a
smooth idle.  Does anyone know why this is so?

Just some history:
My car was misfiring last week, so I replaced the points, condenser, and
decided to check the timing and set it by the book.  Before, I would
advance the timing and run it to find where it ran best.  Well, I set it
around 20 degrees BTDC and it runs like crap.  I spent a good part of the
afternoon checking all the ignition and carb, and finally just advanced the
dizzy a bunch and now it's a champ again.

The dizzy is an Aldon tuned Lucas 45D from Brit-tek curved for stage 1
engines and is only 5000 miles old.

Does anyone have any hints?  I sure would appreciate it.

Also, I statically checked the timing with my test light and TDC of
cylinder 2 hits right on the mark down at the timing marks, so I know the
timing is roughly 40 degrees BTDC.

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure this one out
jay