Head Gasket

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Head Gasket
From: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:18:54 -0700
List experts:
Would you give me your advice?
The engine of my '79 MGB roadster has recently developed an oil leak on
the manifold side.  Because the manifolds are in the way, it's a little
difficult to tell, but I'm fairly sure it's from the head gasket.  I'm
aware that the tappet covers are normal suspects for oil leakage, but I
replaced those gaskets about 18 months ago, and the oil appears on the
block above tappet covers, which is why I suspect the head gasket.
The engine oil does not appear to have any water in it.
The car has about 78,000 miles.
I'm not experienced with engine work.

1.      If I keep the oil level up, will I damage the car by continuing
to drive it daily?
2.      Is the oil leak likely to become rapidly worse?
3.      I have manuals and understand the steps involved, but how big a
job is replacing the head gasket?
4.      What else should I expect to do/inspect/replace in the process?
5.      From some recent list discussion I got the impression that head
gaskets are available in different types of material.  Which is
preferred?
6.      I recall some recent discussion of alternatives to regular
replacement of tappet cover gaskets.  What was that all about?  Was it a
different type of cover?   Is that something I should consider as part
of this project?
7.      Any other hints or suggestions?
Thanks very much for your help.
Charlie