RE: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

--Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net> wrote:
  I recently read a blurb on the Weber DGV downdraft carb.  To
paraphrase, the article said:  . . . The California Air Resources
Board (CARB) has certified the DGV equipped with an automatic choke as
meeting emissions requirements . . . still required are a catalytic
converter, and all other relevant smog equipment.
> Now, looking through my piles of relevant information, I am unable
to find the original source.

As a long time California 'B' owner, who's flunked and passed many a
smog test, I'd be real leary of trying to run Webers through a smog
check here. They never used to be legal, and with Smog Check II I'd
have even more concerns. The DMV is a great source of bad info.
regarding things, so I wouldn't trust them either-- they're passing
out booklets that clearly state that "gross polluters" are ineligible
for two year waivers, when the legislature made sure that the exact
opposite is the case. The big problem with Webers would be trying to
convince an examining station that they were ok. One false move and
you could be officially sent to a referee station where you'll be
marked for life.

I'd be curious to know if there are any 'B' owners  who have gone
through 'Smog Check II', and if there's any truth to the rumor that
B's are being automatically refered to "Test Only" stations by the DMV
because of their reputations as "gross polluters". Anybody know?