Re: Exhaust Systems

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust Systems
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:37:26 EDT
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:31:25 -0400 "Unger, Larry G"
<larry.g.unger@lmco.com> writes:
SNIPITY SNIP
>Hmmm .. sounds like what I've been looking for.  Who makes
>the 'glass pack'?  1-3/4" is the stock 'B' diameter, right?
>Is it 1-3/4" straight thru? ... or does it have both 1-3/4"
>and  2" connections?  Whats the diameter of the 'glass pack'?

 The glass pack is a "generic" Item I picked up at the local Western Auto
(before they morphed into Parts America).
 The 1 3/4" pipe is  the same as stock, and is connected to the G/P with
a 1 3/4  X 2" reducer, the glass pack having 2" inlet and outlet.
 The 'pack measures 3.75" in diameter, but I think it is listed as
nominaly a 4" unit.
 If foggy memory serves (obligitory OF content) the cost was about $14.
 The rear pipe -tail pipe- is a 2" diameter by 48" long "balogna" cut
pipe which I got at Autozone. The pipe (chromed - a concession to the
show set) has one end flared and the other angle cut. I cut off the flare
end to fit it to the 'pack and then had to put a slight bend where it
passed under the rear axle. This puts the angle cut out the rear, where
it is critically positioned to cut your shin every time  you walk too
close to the bloody (pun intended) thing!
 The only real problem I had installing it was modifying the rear pipe
hanger, just behind the rear valance. It's sized for the stock pipe and
the 2" is a real tight fit. But It will work with a little judicous
re-bending.
 The 'pack is mounted about where the stock muffler was hung, and I used
the existing mount  on the rear bulkhead to hang the new system.

>> There may be an inherent higher level of "noise" with tube
>> type headers, simply because they do not have the mass that
>> the cast iron exhaust has, which will tend to absorb quite
>> a bit of exhaust noise.
>
>Agreed ... cast iron also does a better job of absorbing heat,
>so a tubular header will increase engine bay temps ... not a
>good thing as high engine bay temps decrease power output.
>
>See Post on ram air ...

 True. Which would be the only reason I have considered cobbling up some
type of Ram Air. Not so much for the "ram" effect, but to ingest a cooler
charge of air.
 If I ever do such a thing, the system would have to be such that the
presurrization at speed would be minimized, to avoid the carb calibration
problems.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget