Re: Fuel delivery problem-'79 roadster

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel delivery problem-'79 roadster
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:50:34 -0400
>>Problem:
>>On my way home tuesday night, on the interstate at 65 mph(about 15 miles
>>into the 30 mile trip), car begins to die as if it is running out of
>>fuel. Have half a tank.
>
>Pull off the top of the carb and check the rubber diaphram in the carb. They
>get old and split and cause the problem you describe. Look carefully for
>little stress cracks and such.
>
>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
I'll testify to that. My SO and were moving from WY to CO and were about
50 miles into a 270 mi trip when I noticed she wasn't behind me (pulling
trailer). I pulled over and waited a few. Pretty soon she came crawling
over the hill about 10 mph. I got to fooling around with the carb and
lifted and the engine took off. I pulled the dashpot and found a tear in
it. Luckily I had my tool box in the trailer and had some black plastic
electricians tape. I taped up the tear and reversed the order of
disassembly and fired it up. Ran like a charm. Drove the rest of the way
to Greeley, CO and for about a month before I could find a place to get a
carb kit. (this was in 80 and I hadn't heard of Moss, VB etc then) I
found a local who dealt exclusvely in LBC parts.

So add a roll of electricians tape to the old tool box I always say.

Larry Macy
78 Midget