Still working my carbs/timing, not making needed progress.

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Still working my carbs/timing, not making needed progress.
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:42:39 +0000
My car has not run right for quite sometime. I had to adjust my carbs to get
past emmisions tests here in Co
and I think this may have been the start of the problems.  I have since
replaced the cam shaft and timing
chain.  (A mech. I took it too said he couldn't get it to stay timed at high
RPM. And since it was making a
horrible noise he offered to change the chain for $250.)  I took it apart and
found that the shaft was damaged.

Now I have got the car back together.  It idles well (it has a minor
performance camshaft) now and will run
up to about 3000 RPM without missing if I barely touch the gas.  If I stomp on
it then it will wrap up to
about 4500 RPM missing all the way. (needed a tune for that..)    This is the
first B I have worked on, and
the first carbs I have messed with.  I think that my mixture/balance is off,
but I am not sure.  Since it seems to
be related to fuel flow I think it is a carb problem. I have adjusted the
timing with a light and I think I have it
set correctly.  When I wrap the engine up a bit it the marks move back to
counter clockwise.  If I pull the
hoses it does not move counter clockwise.  If I suck on the vacuum hose (YUCK!)
it advances as well.

My question is if it is reasonable to believe that I still have a carb problem?

Thanks!

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.maindrag.com/~lundgren