Timing on a '70 B with the emissions equip. stripped...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Timing on a '70 B with the emissions equip. stripped...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 18:07:19 +0000
I have read in my Hayes and other manuals that the dynamic timing should be set
to 14deg BTDC at 600
RPM.  On my valve cover it says that for the emissions BLAH legal BLAH the
engine should be timed with
the vacuum removed at 1000 rpm and set to 20 deg BTDC.  Since the emissions
equipment has been
removed from my car, should I still do as the valve cover sticker says?

Also, my timing chain cover only has 4 marks.  I think they indicate 0-5-10-15
deg BTDC.  If that is correct,
is the best thing to do to set the timing to 1000rpm estimate where the next
mark would be and go from
there?

The valve cover also says the idle speed should be 900 rpm.  I have read that
750-800 is where to set it.
What is best on this engine?

Thanks!

Andrew Lundgren