MGB Front suspension and steering tests and tolerances

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Front suspension and steering tests and tolerances
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:30:51 -0400
I posted earlier about some defects in my MGB found during
an MOT inspection. A Canadian MOT is not as strict as a UK
MOT but is still proving problematical to me.

  The main problems he found that weren't LUCAS-based were
loose kingpins and a loose steering rack.

  This evening I spent some time under the car trying to
find the extent of the damage.

  If I grab the sides of the tire and twist laterally, there
is no play.

  If I grab the bottom and top of the tire, there is a little
movement possible with a dull click. It appears to be moving
in the kingpin joint that is about 2 inches up from the bolt
attaching it to the A arm.

  How much play is acceptable here? And more importantly, what is
the failure mode of this if I drove it as is? I can understand
it would cost me some handling but I am wondering if it is in
danger of flying off if I hit a good pothole.

  As for the steering rack, I couldn't find any play that
seemed abnormal. What "tests" are usually done and what kind
of limits are acceptable for play?

  Neither of the above problems are noticeable when driving. Oh
well, thanks in advance for any tips.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/