'70 B the was mis-fireing fixed!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '70 B the was mis-fireing fixed!
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 23:16:42 +0000
I thought I would let this one get archived incase someone else comes across
it.  My B would
 wrap up to about 3000 RPM and then pretty much top off.  If I floored it at
any RPM it would
start missing. The engine would not preform at all because when ever you pushed
the accellerator
more than just a little bit it would mis-fire.  My father (I'm only 27)
suggested that it might not be
getting enough fuel.  Wrapped the engine up to the mis-fire point and sprayed a
very small spirt
of ether (stater fluid) by the carb so it would suck it in.  On the rear carb
there was not effect.  On
the front carb it caused the engine jump up beyond the mis-fire top off. (I let
off the accellerator lever
very quickly to stop the engine from exceeding red line.)  I went a head and
tore the front carb apart
and found that a the rubber seal that fit between the jet and the securing nut
on the bottom was rotted
and partially blocking the fuel flow into the jet from the float chamber.
Fixxed that and tried it.  For
the first time in about 6-8 months my car RUNs again.  (As apposed to limping
along behind traffic like
I am trying to save gas.)  Fortunately it is a 3rd car and was not driven
hardly at all during those months.
I will miss the good gas mileage.  But not that much!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.maindrag.com/~lundgren