Re: Main speedo gear feedback

To: Rene and Marion van Maanen <renevm@support.neth.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Main speedo gear feedback
From: Bert Palte <palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>
Date: Sun, 3 May 98 10:45:04 +0200
At 19:46 02-05-1998 +0200, you wrote:

>But a trick which some of us can do ourselves, is to weld a piece of
>metal to the last bearing in the OD and pull it out.

Sorry to say this, Rene, but welding a rod to a bearing may be,
err...  metallurgically challenging.
I wouldn't recommend trying it, and then definitely NOT in such a confined
space to avoid damage to the overdrive gearbox.
However, IF it is possible to remove the gear from the rear end of the
overdrive
(I simply don't know IF it can be done) there are special bearing pullers
available
(well designed but, unfortunately, not cheap) to retract a bearing using the
space between the inner ring and outer ring, where normally the balls and
race go (the race has to be demolished for this).

These are sold by a company near you, called BEGA, in Epe.
(Dutch language intermezzo: een technische groothandel = industrial tool
wholesaler).

(A well meant advice: If you give them a telephone call, do so anonimously.
Otherwise, their sales staff will haunt you for at least 10 years,
calling you every month or so.
Been there, done that. No, no, no, no, PLEASE don't mention my name.
Their sales staff is EXTREMELY pushy...).    :<)

Usual disclaimers apply.

BTW some other well meant advice: Wait until winter time, when the driving
season is over. Instead of working on it, you should rather enjoy driving
your MG.
It is only a speedo, not extremely important, at least not until the next
mandatory annual safety inspection.
Early MGs like the ND or K1 didn't even have a speedo, the RPM counter
doubled as such.
This kind of job is known to take at least three times more time than what
you had initially in mind....

Bert
also in Holland, Europe.