Re: wiring electric fans - white wire/green wire/fuses

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: wiring electric fans - white wire/green wire/fuses
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Dan,

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521

On Tue, 5 May 1998, DANMAS wrote:

> In a message dated 5/5/98 1:00:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu writes:
>
> > In my '70 BGT, there is an unused lead at the fuse box that supplies white
> >  wires. White wires are hot only when the ignition is on in my car. That is
> >  where I got the power for my fan.
>
> Hi, John,
>
> As this is the second time someone has made a statement similar to this, I
> feel I must comment.  Hopefully, both of you have made the wiring correctly,
> but mistated it in your postings (or maybe I just mis-read it).  The fuse does
> not supply the white wire -- the white wire supplies the fuse.  If you have
> connected the fan to the side of the fuse with the white wire, your fan is
> unfused!

Yes, thanks for emphasizing that that would be the case. I believe I
carelessly neglected in my message to say that the installation I have has
an in-line fuse on the fan lead from the fuse box. Without that fuse, it
would indeed be a dangerous situation!