BCW 1998 - The Influence Of A British Car

To: British-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BCW 1998 - The Influence Of A British Car
From: Trmgafun <Trmgafun@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:22:45 EDT
Hello chaps,

I often think about how British cars have influenced the lives of so many
people over the years, and how they continue to do so today, even when you
least expect it.  I'm a firm believer that there are ideas in our subconscious
minds that can lay dormant unless there is an opportunity for the idea to be
challenged.  When this does happen, look out!

Several years ago, I began working for a new company.  I was new and didn't
know any of the employees very well, but being a guy who appreciated ding free
doors, I used my instincts and got a quick feel for those who took good care
of their cars and who didn't (sound familiar?). One of the first nice driving
days, I decided to drive my Triumph GT6 to work.  Since most people generally
park their vehicles in the same parking spot everyday, I had already planned
where I was going to park my prized possession.  There was one employee named
Joe, who just happened to meet all the requirements.  He drove a nice, well
kept vehicle, took care of his things, and didn't seem to be the type of
person to swing his door open onto an innocent unsuspecting little British
car.  There just happened to be a vacant spot next to his vehicle, so that one
became my choice.

Throughout the next several weeks I drove my GT6 to work any chance I got and
parked in that same parking spot with no ill effects.  Finally, one day out of
the blue, Joe stopped by my work area, and asked me if that was my little
green Triumph out in the parking lot?  I told him that it was, he complimented
the car, and then told me that he had always liked British cars but had never
owned one.  We then talked about some of our favorites for a little while,
then Joe went on his way (back to work).

A few days later, Joe stopped by again, this time he had a handful of
questions about British cars, like "are parts easy to obtain?", "which models
are the best to own?", "are there any clubs in the area?", "who do you buy
parts from?", "how easy are British cars to work on?", and so on....  It
didn't take long before we were discussing things like, which books to buy,
what to look for when buying a British car, when is the next local British car
show, and what others to attend in our area.

Joe and I have become good friends, and we now have a long string of good
British car stories to reminisce about.  He has joined several of the clubs
and now owns a collection of Triumphs in various stages of completion.  He is
working on collecting one of each model, which so far includes, 1-TR8, 1-TR6,
2-TR250s, 1-Spitfire, 1-TR4, 1-TR3A, and is currently eyeing another model
that he doesn't currently own.  We kid Joe a lot about his collection of cars
and how he is cornering the market on each model of Triumph, but when you ask
him about his cars, you can clearly tell by the look in his eye's that he is
having the time of his life, and that's what life's all about.

You can see from this story, that all it took was the exposure of one little
British car that unleashed that dormant idea in Joe's mind, which in turn,
unleashed a very enthusiastic British car enthusiast.  This story could have
been about MG, Austin-Healey, TVR, Jaguar, Sunbeam, or any of the other
British marque's that deserve to be driven for all to see and appreciate, and
I'm sure there are a lot of other stories out there very similar to this one.
You can tell from stories like these, how important it is to get these cars
out on the roads and give them the exposure they deserve, and help keep those
Lucas lights burning!!

So grab your goggles and top off  your dashpot's, it's time to get your
British cars out and drive them!!

British Car Week - May 18 - 24, 1998
http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/britishcarweek.html