Re: Junk mail and worse (no LBC)

To: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>, "RJohn50603" <RJohn50603@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Junk mail and worse (no LBC)
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:48:45 -0400
(off topic post with heavy reference notes for stopping spam)

>I don't get much junk mail at all.  My ISP does a good job of weeding it
>out.  I do have a filter set up in Microsoft Outlook that turns all junk
>mail grey and porno red.  I might get 2-3 junk mail a week and as yet no
>porno!  Maybe AOL needs to start filtering for you, as many ISP's do.......
>
>Safety Fast!!
>
>Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA

Yah, but some ISPs go overboard (but I'm not unhappy about this).

The only reason I'm posting this very off topic message at all is because to
day is a very big day in the industry of spamming (unsolicited
commercial/bulk email).  Today is the day that GTMI has officially opened
its doors on what has been hailed the "spambone" (as in Network Backbone).
Expect a vast flood of spam in the next few months, because history has
proven that the 2 persons running GTMI ( http://www.gtminet.net ) aren't to
be trusted and their promises come in as many variations and styles as their
spam does.

So, for those that want a little more background on this goto:

http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/may98/08a.htm

Those of you that would like to lobby your ISPs to stop Spam, might want to
include these URLs for your ISP's to reference to:

http://spam.abuse.net
http://www.cauce.org
http://maps.vix.com/rbl - important info for your ISPs

And if you have a more paranoid ISP, he may have already blackholed all of
Netrail which is hosting the "spambone", GTMI.

If you ISP refuses to block GTMI, or any other spam... I'd advise you to
seek another ISP.

The likely hood (now more so than before) is that your ISP is getting paid
for the permission to spam you.  This is one of GTMI's hottest offerings for
ISPs.  They are offering free T1 lines to your ISP, if your ISP gives them
the right to send advertisements directly to you.

Currently the ISP/C (ISP Consortium) is a big force behind "no-spam", I feel
that the more ISPs that join the ISP/C (membership price is $100) the higher
the chances are for defeating spam.  http://www.ispc.org - ask your ISPs if
they plan to join.

<okay I'm shutting up now>

--
Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: KMR or rebelgeek)